Thursday 5 July 2007

Modern Day Slavery

Take these shackles off, dear Mother
Do not enchain me
I am already enslaved
By society

The pressures’ building up
Day by day by day
I can’t accomplish these crosses
Yours and mine

Do not live through me
Your fears and heartbreaks
I can’t hold my head up
It’s heavy, dear Mother

I stumble with each step
In this ill-lighted alley
Of which breeds contempt and negativity

I struggle within myself
To find the light, carry on
Sometimes the gloom scores effortlessly
Most times a pinhole of ray guides me

I am soap on a string
Diminishing with frequent use
I’m hanging on tight
But it’s slippery

I am weary
Like a caged up canary
I fight shadows in my sleep
The only rest enforced me

Petal P. Rose

2 comments:

Jenn said...

U write nice poem but this one rather weary, and it worries me.

Petal P. Rose said...

Hi Jenn,

Noooo...don't worry about it. Most postings here are true to whatever stresses and joy I feel but do know that I am not likely to give it all up or commit suicide. I just want to run away from myself - which unfortunately, is quite impossible.

Come back often, I generally post Sundays - as you do on Wednesdays (right??) *wink*

Petal P. Rose