Monday 11 June 2007

Painting the town red


Today was not a good day for me. My throat has been sore since last Friday and my nose, one minute was running and now is all bunged up. I swear, I'm not a happy camper.

I woke up reluctantly for work this morning. I threw on a no-brainer dress. No lipstick, bare faced beauty - albeit a grumpy one. I didn't want to speak with anyone, mainly because my throat was hurting. Thank God there wasn't an incident on the way to work. My fuse was short and I was a hungry lionness, pacing in the shadows, hoping for a prey to pounce on - assuage me, just a bit.

I was all quiet at work, busy for a few hours in the morning. I was calm-ish but that's because I kept my head down. I was hoping no one would provoke me or say something stupid. I would have no qualms telling the person how stupid I think he or she is - very explicitly. So the phone rings and the other person had the unfortunate fortune of having me at the end of the line :-). He had called about something that I couldn't answer. The people who would be able to help were not at their desks. I sucked it up and explained nicely (which was quite a huge effort on my part) the situation. He insisted that I answer his question. "Please, I'm calling from overseas..." "Okay, perhaps you can leave me your name and number and I'll ask them to call you back." You cheap bastard.

And so the day passes in boredom. Ho hummm....I went straight home and I got worked up again when I stepped into the house. The computer was on and no one was using it. God knows how long it had been on for. I started in on it. I mean, these things cost money and I'm not even the one paying for it. I'm the only one in the house who goes about flicking switches off when things are not in use. I wasn't born rich so it has been ingrained in me not to waste. So it's a habit - a good one. If you had an asshole for a father where things can be unpredictable, I never take things for granted. I've just had it, I think, with the lot of them in the house. I won't say that I'm the perfect daughter, but I do try my best not to cause anyone harm, always considerate and mindful of my actions. Apparently the road only travels in one direction - theirs. I am fighting a fucking losing battle - I wonder why at times I even bother

Oh, I know why - because I am better than that.

One of them days,

Petal P. Rose



1 comment:

Dishoom said...

get better soon chicka!