Thursday 31 May 2007

Bollywood saved my life

Contrary to what one of my friends' wrote about Bollywood(http://poemsbysha.blogspot.com/2006/10/bollywood-destroyed-my-life.html), I think Bollywood saves lives. Well, mine was anyway. See, I was at a Bhangra party last night or should I say, very, very early this morning….It was crowded – I’ve never seen so many beautiful and handsome people all at the same place at one time, old and young.

As the men and women put their inhibitions aside and dance themselves into frenzy, I sat back and observed more. The place was jammed packed with mostly Indians and there I was, one of the aliens. There again, I was a minority. In Singapore where the predominant race is Chinese, I am used to being unseen, unnoticed. The difference in this case is that I didn’t feel left out. It was a very relaxed atmosphere – none of that “I’m more gorgeous than you” attitude. I was thrown uninitiated and was accepted for my difference. Eyes wondered my presence. I smiled as I gamely imitated their dance moves. I didn’t understand the words accompanying the music. All I understood was the language of the beat of the music. Thumping, pulsating into the sense of my being. Teenage kids accompanied by their parents, danced side by side, the parent and child lines erased. For one evening, they became people, they became friends.

The things that would matter in the normalcy of life - all left at the door of the club. Much like laying down of arms. We were at the temple, worshipping Music. That's the power of music. It brings people together, no matter the place, station in life or the time. It wasn't about me, about us or them. It was sweet surrender. If that wasn't a salvation of some sort, you tell me.

Petal P. Rose

1 comment:

Dishoom said...

looks like he's gotten facial surgery!