Friday 1 February 2008

Okay, here comes a(nother) rant.


One of my pet peeves’ – is someone deciding my time for me. I absolutely HATE it when someone decides to offload their “to do stuff” on me without asking. I hate it when my mother does it so for those who fall below her in terms of importance – well….


I am anal about time because I have so little of it. A huge chunk is spent at the office, like most people. I am not complaining about that. The time has been set aside for this purpose. I am, however, very particular when it comes to the time after office hours and time during the weekend. It is essential that people keep their appointments with me. If they can’t, they should let me know in advance, if they can help it. They don’t need to know the nitty-gritty details of what goes on in my head when I make a decision to meet them. I think it’s just bleddy good manners that you shouldn’t take another person’s time for granted. I get upset, of course, if they can’t let me know in advance – but if there’s a valid reason, fine. That time I set aside for that particular meeting could have been given to someone else or I could have met the next person on my schedule earlier or I could have a break – do I need to go into details??


My time is the worst on weekends. I try to not fill it up (so I can have a weekend too!) but at times, this can’t be helped. I then operate like a zombie, going for one meeting after another. I collect my thoughts whilst travelling or while waiting for the next appointment. Sometimes, there’s an overlap – one will overrun or the other will be early and I have to refocus quickly.


Every single minute counts during the weekend. I work far out into the boon docks and end officially only at 1815hrs (if I end on time, that is). By the time I wait for the bus to even get out of here, I take about an hour to reach whichever destination I’m supposed to be at -yes, even home. I can’t zip in and out of the office during my lunch hour to run errands, like I could previously when I was in the main shopping area. I have to wait for the weekend.


I particularly did not appreciate that I was given the task of buying a prezzie for someone who I don’t even care to think about. It wasn’t a choice – it was meted out to me. I won’t go into it here as to why I didn’t protest, blah blah blah – you want to know more, ask. When I did protest, this was the answer: “Aiyah…you’ll be in town anyway, so you can buy after that lahh…”


I had a very good mind to slap this person. My time is tied for 8a.m right till 6.30pm. I have another appointment at 8pm. In between, I scheduled a 7.30pm appointment. All this before I was meted out my “special assignment”. Then my fecking handphone conked out. I got it to the service centre and collection date is all on the same day as all these other things happening on top of it. He doesn't have to know all of this -but before assigning me the task, bloody well ASK! Hmm…so let’s prioritise as a responsible person:

1. 0800hrs – 1830hrs (work)
2. 1830hrs – 1930hrs (collect HP)
3. 1930hrs – 2000hrs (meeting)
4. 2000hrs – 2200hrs (meeting)

As you can see – there is absolutely no time to get a present for even myself, much less for someone whom I’m not bothered about!

What I would like to do ideally:
1. Collect HP – 1100hrs – 1200hrs
2. 1930hrs – 2000hrs (meeting) 1400hrs – 1500hrs
3. 1500hrs – 1600hrs – FREE TIME = any other errands that I need to run
4. 2000hrs – 2200hrs (meeting) – I have a personal interest in this, so I will make it a point to be there.
5. 0800hrs – 1830hrs - don't give a shit about
6. Present - don’t give a shit about

Ahhh…fuck it. It should be this way:

1. Collect HP – 1100HRS – 1200hrs
2. After testing out that it works, promptly switch it off, get on a plane and bugger off for a long weekend at some resort.

Love,
Petal P. Rose

No comments: