Friday 18 January 2008

"Stressed out people need luxuries!"


he proclaimed, at a corner of the Borders bookstore last night. He was chubby, with geeky glasses and dressed in a nondescript pair of bermudas and a polo t-shirt. I went past him and heard him. He was holding his handphone in hand and I thought he was on the phone though it wasn't put to his ear. Ah, you know how it is these days - bluetooth this and wired that and I didn't think too much about it - just that he was a bit loud. He repeated himself a couple more times and that was when I turned back and took a closer look.


He wasn't on the handphone. He was declaring it. He had alot of confused looks from the others who were walking past - I had to react. I went over to him, put 2 thumbs up and yelled back "I hear ya! Right on! I agree with ya!" Only then did I notice his bag. He was holding on to a "Dior" paperbag. I was tempted to carry on and ask "How about a spa package then? I'm stressed out. Or better yet - a whole 2 weeks, sequestered away in a nice villa in Thailand - without you.?"


I don't know if it was a social experiment he was doing or if he was part of a theatre group and he was researching a role - who knows? Or perhaps feeling guilty over his recent purchase, he was seeking redress and approval, but from the public? Hmm....He didn't even look like your typical loony. For one, he was Chinese, simply but well-dressed and well spoken. Some of you may say that now I am the one boxing someone in - but it's true. If you had seen him, you would think the same.


Or is it truly that with the level of stress he's burst the dam? How will he or people like him be dealt with? Will he be picked up and locked away somewhere - I mean, we don't want people like him to impede the progress of our gracious society, would we? Like the rest of Singapore, all is nice and green. People are smiley. Stepford Wives, Asian version 1.1...there was something pleasant about that place.....


Much love,

Petal P. Rose

No comments: